| Alstonia scholaris
- Alstonia is evergreen fast-growing tree, that grows up to 40 m tall.
- The fragnant flowers are greenish white and occurs in early winter.
- The bark of Alstonia scholaris is used solely for medicinal purposes, ranging from Malaria and epilepsy to skin conditions and asthma.
- In Ayurveda it is used as a bitter and as an astringent herb for treating skin disorders, malarial fever, urticaria, chronic dysentery, diarrhea, in snake bite and for upper purification process of Panchakarma .
- The Milky juice of the tree is applied to ulcers.
- The tree came to have ‘Scholaris’ as its species name because its bark was used to make writing slates.
- It grows better under moist, warm climate but cannot stand water logging.
- Recommended for planting in parks, gardens and inside lawns.
- Suitable for avenue planting.
- It has been extensively planted in India. Also seems to grow well in hot dry regions.